Our staff will work with you directly to create a customized treatment plan specifically for your condition. Treatment goals and objectives will be discussed at length and you will work collaboratively to determine appropriate treatment options.
At Markham Lymphatic Centre, we are committed to improving the quality of life for individuals dealing with lymphedema. Our team of experienced physiotherapists and massage therapists has undergone specialized training in lymphedema management and offers cutting-edge treatment techniques. We combine our expertise with a deep sense of empathy to provide holistic care that addresses both the physical and emotional aspects of lymphedema.
Our services include:
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD): Our certified therapists use gentle, hands-on techniques to stimulate lymphatic circulation, reducing swelling and discomfort.
- Compression Therapy: We offer a range of compression garments and devices tailored to your specific needs, ensuring optimal compression for effective management.
- Exercise Programs: Our personalized exercise programs are designed to enhance muscle strength, improve mobility, and promote overall well-being while managing lymphedema.
- Education and Support: We believe that knowledge is key to managing lymphedema successfully. Our team provides education and emotional support to empower you in your journey.
Our staff will employ a wide variety of treatment techniques and approaches to help you regain mobility, recover from injury or surgery or help manage the pain. Techniques that could be used include:
- Manual lymph drainage (MLD) – also known as lymphatic drainage
- Combined decongestive therapy (CDT)
- Exercise therapy
- “Hands-on” manual therapy
- Muscle imbalance correction
- Postural correction / ergonomic education
- Taping techniques
- Education on your condition
Our staff are also registered authorizers for the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) through the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Through this program, our staff are able to assess for mobility aids, including walkers and wheelchairs.
Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) is a comprehensive treatment program for lymphedema patients, and is sometimes considered the gold standard for treating lymphedema. CDT includes the following components:
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD)
- Bandaging/compression garments
- Patient eduction, including self-care and management
One of the most effective methods of treating lymphedema is the use of a technique known as Manual Lymphatic Drainage. Manual Lymphatic Drainage (or MLD) is a gentle type of therapy typically used to drain excess fluid buildup from the body and improve the overall functioning of the lymphatic and immune system. MLD is most commonly used in the treatment of lymphedema.
The massage used is a specific massage technique and is applied gently in the direction of the flow of lymphatic fluid through the lymphatic system, allowing excess fluid to be transported as waste from the body. The MLD massage is applied as a light form of circular massage to the patient’s skin, and no massage lotions or oils are used in order for the therapy to be effective. The technique encourages skin stretch and stimulates the lymph vessels to increase movement of lymphatic fluid through the body.
MLD massage should only be applied by a therapist who is trained and specialized in the technique. All of the staff at Markham Lymphatic Centre has extensive experience with the technique and are certified through a number of different training programs.
- Cupping Therapy for Lymphedema: Cupping therapy for lymphedema involves placing specially designed cups on the skin to create a vacuum, gently lifting and separating the layers of tissue. This negative pressure can stimulate blood flow, encourage lymphatic drainage, and reduce inflammation. Cupping aims to enhance fluid movement in the affected areas, providing relief from swelling and discomfort. Cupping has been shown to improve circulation, provide pain relief, minimize development of scar tissue and improve tissue mobility.
- Deep Oscillation Therapy: Deep Oscillation Therapy has emerged as a valuable component in promoting lymphatic drainage and reducing the impact of this condition. Deep Oscillation Therapy utilizes an electrostatic field to create gentle and rhythmic vibrations within the tissues. These oscillations penetrate deep into the affected areas, promoting lymphatic flow, reducing swelling, and enhancing tissue regeneration. Unlike traditional massage or compression therapies, Deep Oscillation Therapy is exceptionally gentle, making it suitable for even the most sensitive cases of lymphedema. Deep Oscillation Therapy is non-invasive and comfortable, making it suitable for individuals with varying levels of pain sensitivity.