Telerehabilitation at Markham Lymphatic Centre
What is telerehabilitation?
- Telerehabilitation is a rehabilitation appointment that is delivered over the phone or via the Internet (usually in the form of a video call).
What types of treatments can you receive via telerehabilitation?
- We can do a follow-up visit to assess how you are managing your lymphedema and make suggestions to help improve your management strategies
- We can give you education about the steps you should take to clean your compression during the pandemic and make suggestions in skin care
- We can guide/coach you through a full self-manual lymphatic drainage session including relaxation, deep breathing, gentle stretches and decongestive exercises
- We can observe your technique for bandaging or coach your support person on how to bandage or make modifications to the way you are bandaging to maximize the benefits
- We can give you pain management strategies
- We can give you a full exercise program including decongestive exercises, stretches and strengthening
- We can discuss postural correction and ergonomic changes to make at you home work station as most of you are now working from home on a full-time basis
- We can do a progression of your strengthening program if you are doing the Strength After Breast Cancer exercise program
Is a telerehabilitation appointment covered by my private health insurance coverage?
- Insurance companies are adapting quickly to the needs of Canadians during this COVID-19 pandemic. Currently, Sun Life is the first major insurance provider that will cover telerehabilitation services provided by a physiotherapist. However, more insurance providers are announcing coverage on a daily basis. As always, it’s best to contact your insurance provider and confirm with them to determine their coverage of “telerehabilitation/virtual physiotherapy treatments”.
What do I need to access a telerehabilitation session?
- You will need a smartphone, tablet, or personal computer (laptop or desktop computer with a microphone and speakers)
- Access to the Internet
- A headset/headphones with a microphone (optional)
How do I prepare for my telerehabilitation session?
- Before your session, you will receive an email which includes a link that allows you to be connected to us. You may need to install software ahead of time (if you don’t have the application installed already) but once you click the link, you will be connected with us.
- We are all working through the technology together and we are happy to spend the extra time to teach you to get setup. Once it’s up and running, it’s as easy as clicking a link next time!
How much does a telerehabilitation session cost?
- We are pleased to offer the following introductory rate during the COVID-19 pandemic for all telerehabilitation sessions:
- 15 minute session: $30.00
- 30 minute session: $60.00