What is Markham Lymphatic Centre?
- Markham Lymphatic Centre is Markham’s only lymphedema treatment centre and services York Region and surrounding area, helping adults of all ages.
- All of our therapists are now seeing clients out of a new clinic in Markham. Please check the Contact Us page for more details.
Why is Markham Lymphatic Centre different from other physiotherapy services?
- Unlike services offered in an outpatient hospital setting or at physiotherapy clinics, Markham Lymphatic Centre provide comprehensive therapeutic services for lymphedema clients in the comfort and convenience of our Markham clinic.
- As well, Markham Lymphatic centre is fully certified in Combined Decongestive Therapy, a fully-integrated treatment program for lymphedema clients.
What is Combined Decongestive Therapy?
- Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) is a comprehensive treatment program for lymphedema patients, and is sometimes considered the gold standard for treating lymphedema. CDT includes the following components:
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD)
- Bandaging/compression garments
- Patient eduction, including self-care and management
- One of the most effective methods of treating lymphedema is the use of a technique known as Manual Lymphatic Drainage.
What is Manual Lymphatic Drainage (or MLD)?
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (or MLD) is a gentle type of therapy typically used to drain excess fluid buildup from the body and improve the overall functioning of the lymphatic and immune system. MLD is most commonly used in the treatment of lymphedema.
When do I pay for each session?
- Payment is due after each treatment session. You will be provided with a receipt that you can submit to your private health insurance provider for reimbursement. Please note that GST is not applicable for physiotherapy services.
Are these treatment programs covered by extended health benefit plans?
- Yes – all treatment services are covered by most extended health benefit plans as physiotherapy services.
What happens during an initial assessment physiotherapy treatment session?
- During your first visit, our therapist will work with you to perform a full assessment of your condition. Typically, this will involve:
- a detailed history of your health and current condition
- any limitations due to your condition, including functional limitations
- assessment of any pain or movement patterns
- details on limitations on range of motion
- any relevant diagnostic imaging reports, if applicable
- There will also be time during the initial assessment to provide some form of treatment as well as reviewing a treatment plan.
Do I need a doctor’s referral to book an appointment?
- In order to book an appointment, you do not require a doctor’s referral note as physiotherapists are considered primary health care providers.
My doctor referred me to a different clinic. Am I allowed to come to your clinic for treatment?
- Yes, you are allowed to choose any clinic that you want to. All physiotherapists at Markham Lymphatic Centre are fully registered and licensed with the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario, and all of our massage therapists are fully registered and licensed with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario.